Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Whatever Wednesdays: Halloween Decor

Halloween and some Fall decór went up yesterday.  O Happy day!   I love the colors this time of year.   They just make the house so warm and cozy.  











I'm not one to completely cover the entire house in decorations.  Instead, I have a few set places around the main living area downstairs that I always decorate and change out with the seasons/holidays.  I place things together into a little area to draw attention to the grouping rather than covering a room with items.   I thought I'd show you a few of the things I did yesterday in our home.  Above is what I put on an antique china cabinet in the living room that holds our movies.  There's an old frame, a spray of fall greenery, some chenille pumpkins, a burlap "Happy Halloween" sign and the curio cabinet project that I just taught last weekend. :)   The light behind the spooky lady portrait will stay on all the time as will the battery-operated candle.  It's nice when the sun goes down and the lights are glowing in the living room at night.


Here are a few things I put on the back of the piano in the entryway.  Just a little more Halloween-focused since you see it right as you come in.  The pumpkin light will stay on all the time as a nightlight.  I love it because it flickers.
I got the "Save the Date" plaque at Marshall's last year as well as the apothecary poison bottle in the kitchen hutch photo below.  Marshall's has a lot of fun Halloween decor for great prices!
 This is the hutch in our breakfast room, right next to where we eat in the kitchen.   I just clear it out each season and fill it up.  The "Happy Halloween" is actually a felt banner.  I cut it apart into two pieces and used two-sided tape to adhere it to the shelf edges.  I liked it better than it hanging up.


 A really fun thing to look for when you want some decor are greeting cards!   This Happy Halloween card is a greeting card with a ghostly looking old couple, made to look vintage... and it has sparkly orange glitter on it.


For our mantle this year, I put an old window as the center.  I've had this a really long time and had put some rub-ons on it a long time ago.  (you can see them in one of the panes)  On the mantle, I've draped some fall leaf garlands and some grey mesh draping (Dollar Tree).   The crow is really heavy and metal. Two two black glitter tree cut-outs were only $1 each...from Dollar Tree.  I love these!   They also have chandeliers and candleabras.  Very fun!   The light up plastic pumpkin is very old and one of my favorite Halloween decorations.  Reminds me of when I was little.  :)



And that's it!   I have a simple fall berry wreath on the front door and will probably add some pumpkins and things out there later on when the weather gets cooler.   Thanks for coming by my blog! :)


1 comment:

Terri/Grand Prairie,TX said...

I love the idea of decorating one area in your home : ) I also love the color of your walls..Do you happen to know the paint color LOL I am in the process of painting my living area and can't decide on a color : )